Sunday, February 24, 2013

NOT SO HOT

       Maybe it's just me, but that shelter has little life in it today. Cutie gatekeeper from months back is in the gate saddle again. We enjoyed our hellos. Beyond there was a long empty hall, an empty dining room, and a cold kitchen. At least the lights were on. And truthfully, Dean was on my heels, ready to bring me up to date with lunch plans and instructions. Miss Lillian did not come in. She's on a mission. If you don't ask, I won't tell.
       There were nearly 20 cold plates of leftover pizza and fries to serve out. Lillian did call to give me complete instructions, which I greatly appreciated. Those plates were to be served, as were plates of donated "lasagna," some wilted, darkened salads, and hard round rolls. The "lasagna" was thick with tomato paste (I mean just buried deep in the stuff), there was no visible cheese, no layers... just enormous penne pasta smothered in yucky. No telling who dubbed that stuff lasagna, but it was free.
       Dean had a pre-cooked ham in the oven for tonight's dinner, and we put four #10 cans of green beans on to simmer. He and I fully covered the issue of whether or not to pour off the water from the canned beans. While some folks who work in that kitchen "rinse" canned vegetables and cook them in "fresh" water, Dean and I concur: the water in the can is sterile, and it's full of vitamins and flavor.
       I made up a few dozen PBJs, but there was little else to do with food prep. Dean's abilities are being put into play four ways to sundown; he's ragged from being stretched too far, and I was happy to take up a pail of bleach water, wipe down the dining room tables and chairs, and fill the napkin and dinnerware containers.
       In time, we got that CW music station cranked up, and we left the back door open for most of the morning. Those upbeat things seemed out of place, but we surely needed them!
       Both of our lunch groups were on the quiet side. We apologized to them for the fare, but our hands were tied. In 3 years, I think I've come to know these people (as a people), and it's just not customary for them to be that accepting of such foul grub. They know we're having it rough, and they're taking it on the chin with us.
       None of the five children who lives there now was at lunch—thank God. I did leave toys for all of them with Gatekeeper. He's such a cutie (have I mentioned that?). He took the toys gleefully and said, "What? Nothing for me?"
       There are no plans for next week. There were no plans for this week. God willing, I will be there next week, and I will do what I can with what we have.

No comments: