Sunday, September 5, 2010

TURTLE CHEESECAKE

       My neighbor donated a turtle cheesecake for the shelter kitchen. It went like hot cakes…
       Still, I am surprised by those who will not touch those kinds of things—the little moonface boy shook his head, and Mr. Picky said no; but, Mr. Wilson got his share, even after I told him it wasn't on his [diabetic] diet. "I've been watching my shape for years," he chuckled, waddling away with his goodies.
       Kyle was with us again today. He and Joey enjoy each other's company so much! When I see both of them mopping the tiny dining room, I know they're having fun! Kyle served all the plates I usually make, and I accused him of stealing my thunder. Truth was, there were so many sack meals to make that I didn't have time to serve "my people." I missed that.
       The residents got their monthly check this week, so they weren't eating in the kitchen as often, and we had 32 sack lunches left back from Friday! Still, Joey asked me to make up the missing 13, assuming folks will return to their shelter diets tomorrow.
       Also, we needed 15 PBJ sacks, and 12 breakfast sacks. I'm all sacked out :)
       Joey says the teacher has moved his group into working with syllables. He had them confused with compound words, so I tried to explain the difference, and he got it, at least for the moment. We don't have easy access to pen and paper, or even time to use them, or I'd sit that sugar baby down and we'd have us some school.
       Our C&W station was pumping out the best of the best today. I'm going to write them back with thanks. Even the residents noticed; one of them thanked me for bringing Joey's music up to speed. I assured her it was there before I came, but Joey continues to blame me. "Miss Joy's doing the jammin'!"
       That's okay. Jammin's a good thing.

No comments: