Sunday, September 12, 2010

40 POUNDS OF SCALLOPED POTATOES

      Again, I was too busy with food prep to interact with "my people." Maybe I'll figure out how to multi-task. Mr. Wilson always makes sure I get his special hello, and assures me he is not taking care of himself!
       Kyle was there. He and Joey were hooting it up in the dining area while Kyle mopped. They do enjoy each other, and I enjoy them. Kyle spent a lot of time today heckling Joey about when he was little (they are 20 years apart). Joey denied sucking his thumb, but Kyle pressed the issue. MOM stepped in and told them to play nice! Of course they were, and it was all in fun.
       We only needed 24 sack lunches today. Joey didn't say anything about PBJs, so I didn't ask… I bagged some chips for the next crew, and I served up 40-some plates. When the last plates had been dispensed or wrapped, and just when I was feeling smugly caught up, Joey mentioned that he's planning scalloped potatoes for dinner tonight. He always pauses just long enough for me to stick my foot in it.
       So he put these four gallon-size, milk-carton-looking boxes on the work table. He told me to use them all. Each carton made 10.7 pounds of scalloped potatoes. When I finished cutting up butter, stirring in the flavor packets, and mixing in the dried spuds, Kyle put the four huge aluminum baking pans in the ovens. Forty pounds of scalloped potatoes.
       I wasted no time untying my apron and going for my good-bye hug, "I love you, Joey."
       "I love you, too, Miss Joy."

1 comment:

A Vent of My Own said...

Scalloped potatoes sound good to me!