Friday, August 30, 2019

LONG FRIDAY

     The joint was jumpin' when I got there at 10. Doug and our truck driver and one of the residents were buzzing around, cleaning, organizing and talking. No, women are not necessarily "the talkers."
     When the extras cleared out, Doug and I got busy with today's schedule. I filled 25 sacks with PBJs, while he mixed 10 boxes of mac 'n cheese. Then we went to the basement for green beans for dinner. He was also planning deep fried chicken tenders and rolls.
     With all of that underway, we served sack lunches to a large group of residents. Our "chub" was at lunch too, and I'm not sure why he wasn't in school. He says he doesn't like school, not even one subject. He does like the after-school program.
     Our trans fellow, all 6'4" of him was at lunch, and I mention him only because today he didn't snarl at us. I tell Doug the boy is angry, and not to be too hard on him.
     The 85-year-old and his caregiver were there. I went out front to check the gate situation about an hour after lunch, and Caregiver asked me to let her inside. Her arms were filled with hair products, and she said she needed to put some color on her hair (it's dyed pitch black). "Your roots looks good," I told her, as we entered the building.
     "Well, I am a professional hairdresser," she said. Then she decided her roots could wait and returned to the smoking area outside, arms still loaded.
     A woman came to the back door and asked if we needed any foods. She had a Subaru full of vegetables and fruits. Doug absolutely hates it when that lady comes there because her foods often have a bit of mold on them, and if he accepts them he must accept the chore of throwing them out. So he sent me out to look over the offerings. I was thrilled, I tell you! I got us some beautiful yellow squash for a casserole on Sunday and a ton of lovely fruits: strawberries, miniature red grapes, black berries, peaches, apples, oranges, grapefruit, black figs… all we need is a big tub of Cool Whip. Even Doug got excited when I described the upcoming casserole and fruit salad.
     Eventually, dinner was ready, and we filled 35 plates for the warming oven. (Doug told me to remind him that next time, we only need four boxes of mac 'n cheese!) Right after that, he checked again on the gate and found a young woman with a small baby there. She wanted to know if they could stay at the shelter. She was neat and clean, as was her chubby, adorable, grinning baby. We've no idea what brought her to our door, but all we could do was give her a list of other places she could try. Our shelter requires applications and approval... Was I wrong to not bring them home with me?

No comments: