Sunday, May 17, 2015

WHOLE LOT OF NOTHIN'


      Doug, Mr. A, and I were the whole crew there today. To top that off, we had a smaller crowd to feed than usual, and Doug had planned a meal that was practically effortless. I offered to go home, but he insisted that he needed me.
       We made up some sack lunches and some PBJ sacks. We put a bowl of fruit cocktail in the fridge to cool. When lunchtime approached, Doug threw come chicken patties and homefries in the deep fryer. We had some nice warm buns for the patties. Lunch was as "no brainer" as they come.
       I'd love to have some interesting tales about our residents, but there was none. The new baby's mom was readmitted last week, but soon left again and on her own. The t'ween wasn't there, and I surely missed her, as I had a whole box of special things for her.
       Crying Lady is back from hospital, having survived her heart attack. She was complaining of a hangover this morning. To tell you the truth, I think I understand where she's coming from.
       If you remember her, "Crusty Old Broad" who is a head gatekeeper/social worker was narced out for relieving us of our candy delivery. All I found were a few chocolate eggs—but enough for everyone to have one when added to the bag I saved last week. Where does a fat lady get off taking all the candies, and why did she leave all the dark-chocolate Hershey candy bars? If it were me, I'd take those first!
      So it was a quiet, almost boring day at the shelter, and that was a good thing for the residents. More outstanding were the folks plying the streets nearby. In winter, I see only bundled men heavily laden with their earthly goods, but now that spring is here, those fellows are sharing the sidewalks with tourists who also have backpacks and sometimes walking sticks. Were it not for financial privilege, we couldn't tell the difference.

No comments: