Sunday, July 6, 2014

YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS

       I could smell 'em as I set foot in the pantry to hang up my bags. Bananas! There were two crates full in the pantry and more in the walk-in fridge. There was a bowlful on the serving counter. Some "most benevolent" grocer had donated those over-ripe bananas after they were marked "spoiled" and "use by July 4." Those who donate often assume that the shelter will take (eat) anything. Doug heaved one crate over the back rail and into the dumpster. I scrambled to save a dozen bananas, and did find enough to add to some leftover fruit cocktail, making exactly enough fruit to serve today's entire crowd. Nothing to brag about.
       Miss Lillian popped by on Thursday to get supplies for her holiday cookout. No end to her feelings of entitlement. Otherwise, I've no news on her. Mr. Huggy has apparently stopped making any trips to the food bank where he used to get goodies and other things for us. So we haven't seen goodies in several weeks. My stash is down to nearly nothing.
       Doug tried to get pimento cheese from the supply house but they claimed they'd never heard of it… so we just had tuna salad sandwiches, but they were fresh. I took 5 cans (135 oz.) of condensed tomato soup and added that much milk. Then it didn't look like enough, so I added two jars of spaghetti sauce and two jars of milk. It was magic! The bit of oregano and basil in the sauces added just a hint of their flavors to the soup, and when grated cheese was sprinkled on top, it was very good! We served many second helpings.
       We served the fruit salad on the side, and each sandwich was topped with a tiny American flag on a toothpick. It was a "how you can tell if they like it" day—everyone laughing and enjoying themselves.



       Our young Chinese fellow turned down the can of sardines, and Doug says he's learned some useful English. It seems that someone took something of his last week, and the residents were made aware of his extensive four-letter-word English vocabulary!
       The teen girls were cheerful, and I asked again if they had summer plans. The older one said she has applied at the police department for a volunteer position because she wants to be a policeman. She's almost out of high school, and I can actually see police officer all over her face! There's one problem: she's very short of stature and nearly as broad as she is tall. Maybe the department will guide her toward healthy living and encourage her to reach her goals. That would be awesome!
       Big BOB came in before I left, and helped us put together a bunch of sack lunches, then some PBJ sacks. As is his custom, he whined when I left. If he had the time, I fear, he'd be on my case again about my not going to church, so I just tell him I am tired and I need to leave—all true.
       A pretty woman was marching down the sidewalk as I went to my car in the back lot. She came across the street, excused herself, and asked if I would mind giving her a ride to a church. I had seen her at lunch, so she wasn't exactly a stranger, and she was all dressed up. So we got in the car and headed out. "It's not far at all," she said, "but I have ???? syndrome because my dad was in Vietnam and I can't tolerate much heat." The church has an interactive 1:30 service and a clothing closet for the homeless, and this woman is apparently drawn to both. I noted, as we turned the corner a block down, and two blocks farther, and yet another 2 or 3 blocks up and downhill, that her "not far" was quite far for a lady in church shoes and with health issues. She thanked me sweetly when we arrived, and I wished for her a ride back to the shelter. I look forward to seeing her again next week.
      It was a marvelous morning, very busy, full of good will and cheer. Wish you were here.

P.S. Doug refused to taste my soup as he "hates all things tomato!" I was forced to remind him of what he put in his mouth last week!

No comments: