Sunday, March 2, 2014

SONS, SIGNS, AND SINS

       My first-born son came to town yesterday and accompanied me to the shelter this morning. I had introduced him to Doug some weeks ago, and he wanted to join us for the Sunday adventure. We went prepared to bake 12 quiches, and we worked hard to get them in the ovens in time. Doug took advantage of our cooking and mopped the dining room.
       All of the quiches had cheese, some with broccoli, some with mushrooms, some with sausage, and some with most of the above. Doug had the sausage cooked and ready when we arrived. It's not easy whipping up 12 quiches…
       I was tickled to have an extra pair of eyes watching the ovens. We had applesauce and cheese grits on the side. My son made the grits. Near the end of the first group's meal, we realized we didn't have enough grits and started another pot. Naturally, much of that was left over, but it will be devoured as baked squares tomorrow.
       The boys got on well. I was especially pleased, because that is Doug's kitchen, and my son is general manager of a restaurant. At the shelter, they were a team and Doug's place in the hierarchy was safe.
       No one complained about the food. Not a soul! We had a very few who carefully avoided pork, but otherwise, the food was not questioned. Angry Mom came to the dining room mid-morning to ask about the menu, as she always does. At lunch she demanded extras, such as, "go back to the walk-in fridge and get more grated cheese for me." Doug says her time there will run out in less than 2 weeks.
       But before the homeless were invited to the dining room, we needed time to get the new pot of grits cooked. Because the pre-release had come in a bit early, they finished early. The groups are not allowed to occupy the dining room at the same time, so as the last pre-release headed toward the door, I called to him, "Hey! Can you please stay in here 5 more minutes so we can get the next group's food ready?"
       I know this young man, and he has a sense of humor. "What'll you give me?" he grinned.
       "A pack of bubble gum!" I promised.
       "Make it three packs, and you've got a deal," he said.
       Yes, I had enough.
      Doug had some very interesting details to impart about this past week: Miss Lillian came in Monday through Wednesday—her new part-time schedule. On Wednesday, JOEY joined her! He was said to have been asking for his job back. It's too deep to go into here, and I'll never understand what makes that machine tick, but for Joey to have a job there, somebody would need to leave. I'm just wondering: Were Wednesday's events a sign of things to come?
       The other event of mention this past week involved one of our pre-release who was due to get OUT in just 3 more weeks. I liked that young man! He always seemed so agreeable and easy-going. Obviously, Sunday mornings aren't long enough to give me great insight. Mr. Agreeable left "to go to work" one day but spent the day with his girl friend instead. The chain of events involved his cell phone. The pre-release are not allowed to have cell phones. He was caught. Federal lawmen approached the shelter from the front and back doors. They told Doug to stay out of the way, in case the young man tried to flee through the kitchen. (Doug says he was willing to dive under the work table, no matter how little space might be under there.)
        The young prisoner was apprehended without incident. He was sentenced to FIVE YEARS for leaving the premises for a place other than his job. He was given ANOTHER YEAR for having possession of a cell phone.
       When you think about it, that young man truly did not want to be free. He doesn't feel comfortable in the free world. Prison can be so comfortable, with it's scheduling and guaranteed provisions. Well.
       The Christians arrived right on time with three 50-pound potato sacks of week-old bread. I sent my son to greet them and thank them. I wanted him to have the experience. Doug says a woman came to the kitchen a few days ago with 300 fresh doughnuts. She's from the stale-bread church, but she swore Doug to secrecy, because her fellow church-goers prefer to pick over the goods before giving them to the shelter, and she just wanted to give them to us while they were fresh—sneaking, sinning, subterfuge.
       In the end, we had two sacks to shoot hoops with. Good times.
       Angry Mom's boys got their goodies, after they made a point of ASKING, "Do we get goodies?" I hate it that she has taught them to expect to be catered to like that—as she expects for herself…
       As my son and I were leaving, the baby and the little girl were walking up the sidewalk with their moms. It's the baby's 1st birthday, and I was happy to have an opportunity to give them the goodies that I'd taken for them.
       We're tired. I don't have a not-tired place on my body.

No comments: