Sunday, September 16, 2012

FOCUS CAN CHANGE...

       Today, I was focused on getting in and out of that kitchen by 12:15. I was meeting a friend for SHOPPING! Women need a little shopping sometimes, and working women are especially challenged to find the time. But my friend and I were determined.
       Joey and "Crusty Old Lady" were the first staff I saw at the shelter. Joey was yang-yanging to somebody about being stretched too thin this past week. Seems some group of 300 needed a cook and HE was volunteered (for pay, but still...). "Crusty" was just herself… crusty. I still like the old gal.
       Joey and I had planned a meal over the phone last night, and it came off like clockwork (nothing like a shopping plan to put perspective in a job). Joey deep fried chicken tenders and catfish (oh, but those were good! I made a huge pot of curly macaroni (added butter, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and chopped broccoli florets. Good stuff! Then I cut up some varied and colorful melons for a fruit serving.
       That was lunch… along with sandwich buns. I didn't hear ONE complaint! Even had time to put together 12 sack lunches. The C&W music was hopping. The kitchen was HOT (deep fryer).
       Nobody did anything "special" today except for the 2-year-old stone face. She had some sort of epiphany after I gave her a little bear. Something about the bear and the idea of feeding it catsup or throwing me a kiss tickled her funny bone. She smiled large and real. That split second was the high point of 2/1-2 hours in the kitchen. Worth every minute.
       None of the other kids came to lunch before I left at 12:15.
       So today was mostly for me. Even cooks need a little time off.

No comments: