Sunday, April 29, 2012

WHERE TO BEGIN???


      For the sake of the record, I was not here last week because my precious friend Sylvia died, and I went to the funeral—7 hours east. It was good to return to the shelter kitchen today and take my life up where it had left off… you know how we like to pretend that we have some control.

       Gate Keeper is gone. One greeted me at the door and gave me the news: Some of Gate Keeper's "paperwork" had not pleased the gods, so he was let go. In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine such an event. I cannot imagine anyone replacing Gate Keeper. I am so distraught that I wasn't even thrilled to see One! And you know how distraught I was when One left to return to the night shift. I hate change…
       Anyway, One was there, but only until they find another day person. Remind me to not get attached.
       Joey had a young man doing community service today. Really, these "kids" who come in to work off their faux pas just make me crazy with their choices! This young man graduated from college and then started hanging out with the wrong crowd, and now he's working off his punishment for a felony, albeit a "small felony" that will be excused when he finishes his service. However, he has pussyfooted around until his time has nearly run out, and he has not served the assigned hours. Here is a prime example of asking for "just one more day, just one more chance, just one more excuse…" rather than sucking it up and moving forward. He did see the disappointment on my face when he told me he had a bachelor's degree, only he called it "surprise." Surprise!
       For lunch, Joey had thawed the containers of veggies that we had frozen 2 weeks ago for soup. He had boiled 3 dozen eggs, and I had gone prepared with my food processor, mayo, and mustard, to make deviled-egg sandwiches. They've never had those there, and I did believe that a lot of folks would turn up their noses, but that was not the case! We ran out of sandwiches!
       The soup was "okay," but Joey had dumped a huge can of tomatoes in it, and I had to take a lot of them out and add refried beans to get some of the acidity out. But it was okay, and we served many second helpings.
       Yesterday, I found fresh cauliflower and broccoli at the flea market for just peanuts, so I served fresh veggies on the side, along with baby carrots, and this time I made sure we had plenty of ranch dressing. Those were well-received too.
       Our pre-release group seemed small—maybe 8 or 10 of them. Always by the time they finish at noon, I am so ready to get off my feet, but when the homeless group comes in, the rush re-energizes me. I counted about 25, but at least 10 more straggled in late. One of the latecomers was so sleepy he could barely walk to the counter and claim his lunch. The last one looked like a typical street dweller which is unusual there. In fact, there were several really sad cases today. Joey even told me that one young man has cancer, and McCaulay looked extra maudlin today.
       So HEY! We have a new boy—gorgeous 10-year-old with long blonde bangs framing his cherubic face. He's with his father, tall, older, worn looking. When the child came to the counter I gave him his lunch and then handed him a little snack bag with gums and candies. I offered him a bottle of bubbles which he eagerly accepted. Then I offered him some art supplies. He took a drawing kit that had 5 different shades of graphite pencils in it. That child was so excited! Then I gave him a quartz crystal (a flea market find, 3 for $1). The child's father squatted low beside him in an attempt to make himself small enough to qualify for kiddie goodies. Big heart smile.
       Later, the boy came to the counter and asked if I had another drawing kit. Yes, I did. Any kid who wants to draw has an easy in with me!
       Yes, the adorable adolescents are still there, and they come freely to the counter for goodies now. I was a bit disappointed when the boy's mother came with him to ask for a second sandwich, because I have many times told the child to eat more, as he is growing, and he's old enough to begin speaking up. Still, there is Miss Lillian and her "no seconds!!!" Added to that, I have wondered if the child's mom might be helping him with his seconds—she's a right fluffy gal.
       Those kids happily accepted another bottle of bubbles, and I told their mom that if all the children will save their bottles, we can refill them in the kitchen. She was in agreement.
       I do love them, and as much as I know I will miss them, I hope they get a home of their own really soon.
       One came often to the kitchen; he tires of minding the desk. On his last appearance before I left, I asked him to give a jar of baby food to Mr. Huggy because Hugs keeps the pantry for special needs folks. First, One had no idea who Huggy was. After I explained at length and Hugs' real name was uttered several times, I was informed that Hugs was not there because he had a heart attack!
       I've had no word of the man in weeks, and my sick sense of humor kicked in, "Was she there when he had it?"
       One had no information about "her," so I explained that some time ago Hugs had taken a resident to live with him because he was "saving" her. One informed me that Hugs has "saved many women," so he had no idea to which one I referred. God, it's just no wonder the poor man's heart cramped up on him. I know: my seat in Hell is well reserved.
       So on the way home I stopped at the art supply and FILLED my goodie bag with fun things for the children—they had paddle balls and other toys for $1, and FIRST you get to paint the wooden parts with markers! How fun is that?
       Now if I can just get some more quartz crystals at the flea market next week, everybody will be happy—the new child's father wants one real bad. Grownups can't help it if they're tall.

1 comment:

A Vent of My Own said...

Welcome back.

I'm sure the clients are glad, too.