Sunday, August 15, 2010

HOME AGAIN


       Joey was at his post this morning! Getting to his post proved to be a challenge. I knocked and knocked on the dining room door. Finally, I went back to the front desk and asked the person on duty to call Joey and tell him to let me in. As I arrived back at the dining room doors, the voice on the loud speaker announced, "Joey, there's a woman waiting for you. Let her in."
       I cut up three little sugar melons that Joey produced, added a large can of fruit chunks and a half dozen cans of apricots. Joey baked pizza and deep fried some onion rings.
       JOEY has finished the first quarter of school, with flying colors!
       Sixty-eight sandwiches, 18 sacks with PBJs, two lunches served, and I was ready to fall down, but we had enjoyed ourselves completely. Our C&W music filled the room, and we found the clients singing along with us as they came through the line.
       A precious little moon-faced 4-year-old boy came to lunch today. His eyes have dark, dark circles under them. He ate a good lunch, rubbing those sad eyes over and over. I stepped softly inside his little head, just for a moment: he's barely aware of the world around him, he trusts without question, and I hope he won't remember this time in his life.
        Mr. Wilson was sitting on the outside wall when I left—all 350 diabetic pounds of him. "Thanks for the fruit salad; I know it was you."
       Getting credit for free is okay.

No comments: