Sunday, October 27, 2019

NEW APRONS FOR ALL

     Arriving at 10:15, I found Doug and ex-gatekeeper sporting the new aprons I'd left there on Friday. Truly, they looked SO SILLY in those girly aprons that I had to laugh! When I gave Doug the rooster apron I'd made just for him, he looked much more appropriate. Now I will focus on making one for ex-gatekeeper that actually fits him! I've put Doug on the hunt for Ex's favorite food, thinking an appliqué of that would be good.
     For lunch we served Doug's famous potato soup and some donated pasta salad. I found a box of French beignet mix. It was like cake flour in a plastic bag in a box, with instructions on the back. Those kinds of donations always get thrown in the dumpster, and it does break my heart. So I asked Doug if we could make the beignets, and surprise, he was interested! We added some water to the cake mix, rolled out some thin dough and dropped those little things in the deep fryer. We didn't have the powdered sugar called for in the recipe, but we put cinnamon sugar on them, hot from the fryer. NOT good for you, oh, no! But tasty, so tasty! All but two of our residents helped themselves to those beignets. And you know... I think a lot of people turn down a thing because they don't know what it is. Our autistic kid glared at the goodies, holding his greedy fingers just over the pan, trying very hard to reject my offering... and I said, "You can try one, if you like, but if you don't like them, that's okay." Of course, he ate 5 or 6, or more.
     Gossip..... We no longer have a security guard for the weekends, so the office staff is filling in (today at least), taking 8-hour shifts, and Richard will take the night shift as he was in the beginning. The security-guard company doesn't have anyone else to offer us at this time.
     That said, the senior office worker was there from 10-4 today, so Fancy Lady made herself very scarce, and I was told that was because she is $300 behind in her rent! I thought she was the wealthy one who simply chose to live there. Well.
     For dinner, we dished up 30 plates of potato salad, rolls, green beans and meatloaf. I didn't taste the meatloaf, but the potato salad and beans were sour, but we thought it was just their recipe. Gosh, I'm glad I get to eat at home.
     So here we are in our new aprons... Ima make ex-gatekeeper one that fits him. Next week, he'll be totally dapper! And PhotoShop's "blur" feature is good for wrinkles too!

Doug asked for a chicken, but rooster fits him much better.



No comments: