Sunday, September 29, 2019

ANGRY PEOPLE ARE HAPPY PEOPLE

     This was an odd day, full of unusual bits and pieces that seemed out of place.
     Doug and ex-gatekeeper were busying themselves with some breakfast sacks when I arrived, but I finished stapling them, and then there was little to do for a long while.
     For lunch, Doug prepared French fries and boiled hot dogs on buns. We have about 15 pounds of donated pimento-cheese w/jalapeño peppers, so Doug made a tray of sandwiches, grumbling, "Nobody will eat these." HE wouldn't even taste the mix! And it was good! I was right, of course, and those sandwiches went over well, many folks asking for seconds.
     We have a new deaf resident. I met him on Friday when Doug pointed to him and whispered, "I can't stand that guy!" So I asked him why, and he launched into some excuse of rudeness and attitude, but it was soon revealed that the man is deaf. "Can you speak sign language?" Doug asked.
     Minutes later, I told Doug the man's name and Doug pulled out a few letters of his sign-language alphabet and spelled his name! Proud mom here :)
     Today, that relationship grew, though Doug says the man has lived there in the past and was expelled for hitting people. This is where being a fly on the wall would be so helpful...
     "My little boys" were not at lunch, but I left a book for one of them, hoping it will tease him into wanting to read.
     For dinner, we filled 32 plates with squash casserole, steak (real steak), rolls, and scalloped potatoes.
     Our tall, thin trans fellow, who now works at the hotel across the street, came to the back door for a sack lunch. I gave him one. Then he motioned to the stack of drinks, and specified his favorite. I gave him one. Then he said he'd like another. No problem. Then he gave me the richest, deepest, sweetest look and a silent "thank you." It was one of those responses that tells you this person is seldom treated humanely. I see the same look on the deaf man's face.
     Well... that's enough for one Sunday.

No comments: