Friday, August 16, 2019

EVERYBODY HAS ONE

     Doug greeted me this morning with a sweet gift and birthday card. Great way to start any day!
 He had dinner in the oven and the PBJs ready to sack. We also made 20 meat-sandwich lunch sacks.
     Remember those meals Doug prepared for Major God's church—those meals that no one collected—those meals that were thrown away? Today, Major God told one of the office workers that he had decided to "just serve dessert." He never told Doug on Sunday. I've noted before how difficult the man seems to find it to be basically polite or thoughtful. The office workers are beginning to pay special attention to that man's behaviors. Stay tuned.
     We had about 10 for sack lunches, among them a new fellow who is 85 years old and who has a caregiver with him! This is a situation that I've not seen before. The old fellow wanted to go into town after lunch, so Doug arranged for one of the younger residents to accompany him and his caregiver. I dunno.
     As for Kevin… his apartment is completely cleaned out. "Major God sent him away," Doug said.
     "Really?" I asked. "What did he say to Kevin?"
     "Oh, he never actually spoke to Kevin; he told an office worker and she told the gatekeeper…" So it was handed down until someone told Kevin to clean up his place and not return there to sleep. About 2 p.m. today, we heard Kevin's knock. He looked good! Well… for Kevin. He had a lot on his mind. First, he said, he wanted to tell me about his encounter with the police… "and then I want a cup of ice, a drink, and a snack and a Gatorade." I stood there several minutes while he recounted his legal issues. I think he was telling me that a policeman had called the station to see if there were any warrants out on him and that he was proud to report there was none. He put his fist to his mouth several times as if speaking into a radio receiver, as he gave me both sides of the conversation he'd witnessed.
     Kevin's words are not very clear, his little body bent and unsteady. I gave him a sack lunch, a cup of ice and a Gatorade. Doug went out onto the porch to chat with him.
     We filled 37 plates for dinner: meatloaf (frozen long ago), mashed potatoes, peas 'n carrots with a roll, and that's a wrap.

No comments: