Friday, July 26, 2019

THE CLEANING LADY

     Today, I helped Doug clean Kevin's "apartment." Kevin is again in the care of our law-enforcement department, so we know he has a bed and decent food; en plus, he isn't out there on the streets with all the other nutcases.
     I thought cleaning Kevin's place would be a very hard job for Doug, but before I could turn around, he was finished. He had loaded a plastic bin with some of Kevin's belongings, heaved it into the dumpster, and shoved the remaining items underneath the stairs. Then he arranged the dozens of drink crates in Kevin's sleeping space, and all was right again…
     There remained only the issue of Kevin's litter (mostly rocks) on the stairs. I got a broom and went after it, behind the broken lift motor and in all the cracks and crevices. We look much better now, unless the health department inspects Kevin's "closet."
     There was great need of organization in the kitchen and pantry. Boxes were empty or overflowing, and many were out of place. The housekeeper in me enjoyed the challenge.
     Lunch saw six diners, some of whom were more hungry for socialization than sandwiches. It was longer than usual before Doug and I had our privacy restored. Then we set about filling 36 dinner plates with donated eye of round with gravy, cornbread dressing, and glazed carrots. It was so divine that before 11:30 we had tested it.
     In early afternoon our phone rang. Doug checked the caller I.D. and asked me to take the call. A woman who assumed I knew her wanted to know if we wanted some donated foods. Doug's expression had said we were overloaded with those, so I told the woman we really had plenty at this time. She was chatty and obviously desperate. Eventually I told her that we might be able to use just a small amount and how very, very much we appreciate her/them/those. So that's where we left it. I hate lying, but while we surely do appreciate donations, sometimes they take over the place—like rabbits.
     —See you Sunday

No comments: