Sunday, May 19, 2019

MOST DAYS, THE SUN RISES

FRIDAY was chilly, and the shelter was quiet. Coming up the back steps, I noticed that Kevin's belongings were spread around carelessly and that the steps were trashy, beyond the rock and stick collections. So getting an answer to the question of the "stuff" was first on my agenda. Doug said Kevin is in jail again.
     Really, must they? Why don't we (functional people) have a means of caring for those who are so very dysfunctional? It surely appears that Kevin survives between incarcerations until he can no longer endure it; then he turns a key that will admit him to the only care facility for which he qualifies.
     As it was a weekday, we served only a few sack lunches. By 12:30, Doug and I had filled 35 dinner plates and put them in the warming oven. We were happy to call it a day.



SUNDAY
     Doug has cleared away Kevin's belongings, but they are in safe keeping.
     Lunch was corn dogs and French fries. I no longer get tied in knots when there is nothing for a meal but deep-fried fat. However, Buddy called from the front office to tell us that a local food pantry had brought us a truckload of goodies! I went up front, and Buddy let me into the food closet to choose whatever I wanted for our lunch. There were fresh bananas and oranges! There were many huge boxes of Gold Fish crackers and trail mix and chips and pretzels. There were canned goods and other delights that I didn't have time to peruse. I loaded my arms with bananas and a big sack of oranges which I put on the serving counter for lunch.
     The group was quiet today. In fact, it felt as if they all had a mild case of confusion. Even Fancy Lady was dull. I did have a lively moment with my boy when I gifted him with an empty paper towel roll. "Do you know what this is?" I asked. He gestured that it should go in the trash. Then I gave him a demonstration of the many uses of a durt-de-dur. He caught on enthusiastically and was soon finding more ways to play that instrument--spy glass, trumpet with hand-applied mute, drumstick, loudspeaker... Cute little guy.
     The kids from the hotel came for lunch. Their conversation got my attention! One of them has a grown son who battered a baby so badly that it's in ICU! That real world will follow you around...
     For dinner, a very fine restaurant had donated baked chicken breasts. Doug made green beans and scalloped potatoes with cheese. A roll topped each plate. We didn't finish until nearly 1:30. I don't know when I've left the shelter so tired! Remind me to get a full night's sleep next Saturday.
   

No comments: