Monday, April 29, 2019

THE DREGS

I dragged in late today, stopping for a minute to give Kevin a couple of beach rocks. He pointed me to his collection of rocks on the machine on the back steps and told me of many things that I can no longer recall. Most of all, he'd have kept company with me all day, had I let him. Funny fellow. He tells Doug that the police have threatened him with "the big house" (real prison) if he doesn't learn to behave. I'm hoping that's just our finest's way of trying to help Kevin—Lord knows he doesn't belong in the big house. He's happily re-ensconced in his fenced-in vacant lot.

Lunch and dinner were well prepared when I arrived. ALL of the sandwiches were made and in boxes. Doug and I sacked them, stapled them, and brushed off our hands. Nothing to do but putter. I made the coffee, he washed the pots, and soon the diners came in—a nice crowd of about 30. My little boy is convalescing from a tonsillectomy, so he stayed in his room, but I sent him crayons and a super-hero coloring book. My little gay guy got kicked out last week for smoking in the storage room downstairs. Actually, four guys got the boot for that, and BUDDY had unlocked the door to let them in there. Buddy is lucky to still have his job!

Doug still struggles with the peanut butter bag. I got you a picture of it! The top has been scissored off; I guess that helps. Do remember: the outside looked much like the inside before I cleaned it. And poor Box!



All three kids from the hotel came for a plate. Doug says two of them have been fired, but replacements haven't been found, so they are still working. It's confusing.

Oh, and those "stolen Easter hams" turned up in the freezer, with the rest of the hams! Yes, it's a mystery.

Lunch was mini corn dogs, French fries and broccoli soup with cheese. It was well received.
We plated 35 dinners before I left: meatloaf, mashed spuds, green beans and a roll.

Most of all, Doug had been sorely missed! That kitchen cannot be coordinated without him. No amount of cheerful volunteers can zip in there and keep the place running smoothly. Two loaves of bread will NOT be okay, and a gallon of carrots will rot if not used. Someone left a huge puddle of spillage in the oven, and no one cleaned it up, because DOUG was coming back on Thursday… 


No comments: