Sunday, April 7, 2019

POLICE, AMBULANCE OR FIRE?

     We got one of everything today, and I DO love a uniform!
     For lunch, I spent $16 of my hard-earned social security check on pie shells, eggs, sour cream, black olives and mushrooms. Doug deep fried sausages and chopped up some of them for my creations. I made six quiches. Most had all of the ingredients, but one had only cheese, and Doug's had no olives.
     We had just enough time to create and bake six quiches before lunch. I was hustling, but I did take a minute to peer off the back porch at Kevin's "home" in the lot across the street. His big blue trash can was overturned, and his belongings appeared strewn about, so I asked after him. Doug said Kevin was arrested again. At least he'll be fed and dry—it's gonna be a rainy week.


Kevin's place in the vacant lot.


The 25 PBJ sacks in their tub that is rolled out to the street every day.
Each bag contains two PBJ sandwiches, a napkin, a soft drink and a cookie.
Bon Appétit…


     During that period, Buddy called Doug to come up front and help him. He's still new at gate keeping, but he seems to be holding his own (mostly). Today's issue involved a man who had come in the foyer and asked for a bed. Buddy told him we didn't have any, so the man tore the water cooler off the wall. Doug went up front and put the cooler back in place and shut off the water supply until a repairman could come. Soon, the meanie returned and slammed that cooler again, using his backpack. It's still on the floor.


One like this.
     Meanwhile, the police were summoned. Of course, the man ran off, but the police got his name and the fact that he has been banned from the shelter, so I suspect he'll be arrested shortly. Doesn't matter: I got to look at that uniform for 10 minutes while he took notes from Doug.
     So the question of the day was about the quiche. Will they eat it? We served the plates with one "pie slice," a sausage link and home fries. About 30 people came to lunch, and I believe only two turned down the quiche. Many came for seconds, and many were experiencing their first quiche. Fancy Lady asked for some to take back to the cooler in her room. I know… but I wrapped it for her and we pretended we were sneaking. She still lives there—her moving-out event is a long time coming.

Quiche with grated sharp cheddar, black olives, fresh chives,
chopped sausage, sautéed mushrooms, sour cream and milk.

     After lunch, the autistic boy's enormous mom was back at the counter (after three servings) just to chat with whomever was available. Someone mentioned how good the quiche was, and I heard  the woman say, "Yes! Doug made it!" Sigh…
     The kids from the hotel across the street came and ate. After that, Doug and I had time to make plans for future lunches. He slammed my French toast idea, but he does want more quiche, and he wants to make the pie crust in-house, so it won't be as sweet as pre-made pastry. I agree. I saved the pans, he'll order some pie crust mix, eggs and sour cream… and we won't be dipping into social security next time. Works for me! Best of all, he really wants a next time.
     We had a lot of cleaning to do, and then we filled 35 dinner plates for the warming oven. Dinner tonight will be mashed potatoes, green beans, Salisbury steak and a roll.
     As I was packing to leave, Doug came racing up to me saying, "Go up front and see what's going on! They've got an ambulance and a firetruck and everything!" He didn't want to become known as Buddy's savior, I suppose; so, I went up front.
     "What's going on?" I asked Buddy. Some fellow had come in off the street and asked for a bed. Of course he couldn't have one, but Buddy thought the fellow was too pale, shaky and sweaty. The water fountain was not an option at that point. Buddy got the man some water, and called 911. When I left, it looked like the EMTs were drawing blood, and the man was still able to sit upright.
     I followed the fire truck as I left to come home. It's nice here at home, but at other places today, life is so hard.


No comments: