Sunday, March 31, 2019

WHERE DO THE HOURS GO?

     Doug had donated meatloaf in the oven for the dinner plates, when I arrived. He had huge pots of green beans and mashed potatoes on the stove. There were 50 PBJs waiting to be sacked, and I set to work. Then he dumped a large bag of canned goods on the work table and told me I was making the soup for lunch, as he deftly opened all of the cans and dumped their contents into a pot. He'd already fried some ground beef to add to the mix. Really, there was little for me to DO!
     I did make up the breakfast sacks, wash some pots and make coffee. Buddy came to the kitchen for a brief visit, but he dares not leave his gatekeeping post for long, as he tends to miss important duties if he tarries. It remains uncertain if Buddy will rise to the occasion of his responsibilities. That gatekeeper post has an awfully high rate of turnover.
     We didn't see Kevin today, but I planted some beach rocks for him out by the back porch.
     Our lunch crowd numbered about 25, but I didn't get involved with them. The little boy and his dad were there, but I'd given him a toy yesterday, and I've come to feel that the child has little appreciation for his gifts. He questions them and often appears a bit dissatisfied. It would be nice if the child appreciated toys just half as much as Kevin loves the gift of a rock.
     Two of the guys from the hotel came for a plate, and Doug always enjoys visiting with them. The gal is ill today, or so they told me, giving me the "we don't really believe her" look.
     Long after the lunch hour ended, two or three residents remained in the dining room, chatting—the Chinese fellow, Fancy Lady, and one other. Fancy Lady is said to be moving out (again) this week.
     My little gay buddy is coping with his job at the hotel. I sense that he's not too happy with it, but it will help him get beyond life in a homeless shelter. A week or so ago, the child expressed his displeasure with the job; I expressed my displeasure with his sadness, and DOUG marched up to the counter to tell the young man that bringing Miss Joy down like that would not be tolerated! I don't know how Doug gets away with those stunts, but he does. The kid gave me a nice smile and immediately adjusted his attitude. Most surprising, I am convinced that he and Doug have an understanding—Doug cares about him, and the kid appreciates it. This is deeply moving.
     By 1:00, Doug and I were tired, and we still had 40 plates to fill for dinner. Doug provided some grape juice to lift our spirits, and those dinner plates almost filled themselves. Still, I hung around there working for so long that I had to cancel my appointment with the H and R Block lady. It's okay, the paperwork is finished.
     Well... for an unemployed person, I am finding a lot of work, and I can't say I mind it. The neighbors, though, seem to miss having someone to gad about with. Surely things will swing back around in time.
     I spoke with Hottie yesterday, during and after several hours in the shelter kitchen. He's thriving at home! And I failed to report on the hours I was there yesterday, but those of us in the kitchen had a lot of fun.
     It looks like I won't be needed again until next Friday, and that's okay!

No comments: