Sunday, January 31, 2016

THE BUBBLES ARE HERE!

       Wal-Mart has loaded the shelves with all kinds of bubbles (short little bottles, long wand bottles…),  sidewalk chalk, Frisbees, and all manner of sunshine playthings. The large bargain packages make it economical for me to load up, so I have bubbles aplenty.
       Doug and I sacked a bunch of lunches before serving time. He had already made a huge pot of chili and a large bowl of salad. Oddly, Doug suggested (seriously) that I could add a dollop of cranberry sauce to the plates if I wished, but Crazy butted in shouting, "Don't nobody want no cranberry sauce!" I left it alone.
       The high point of prep was finding the huge box of Hershey bars and other candies in the pantry. I was just beginning to think through how I might give everyone some candy without overdoing it, when Mr. A said, "Give one to everybody!"
       "A whole one?" I gasped.
       Yes, a whole one. So I gathered up a little container of candy bars and took them to the serving counter, but putting a whole Hershey bar on every plate rubbed me the wrong way. So I broke the bars into 4 pieces each, as they are scored. Crazy and Mr. A gave me a very hard time about that, but I stood my ground.
       Pretty soon, the big candy box disappeared!!! A cry went out amongst us (I, for one, hadn't grabbed a bar for myself…). Eventually, Doug fessed up to having claimed the box for himself and having put it in his truck. That was that.
       The chili and salad made a wonderful lunch, but no one asked for seconds. The pre-release were of good humor, as were the residents, but both groups were a bit smaller than last week's because the weather has improved.
       Our 7-yr-old has moved away, and I miss his charming little face, but the 10-yr-old remains and announced, "The Toy Lady is here!" This week I'm a lady. He was pleased with his bubble wand, new pencil and glue stick. The 2-yr-old got a stuffed bear, and the 1-yr-old got a blue elephant. It was almost more than his little hands could handle, though it is age-appropriate. To my dismay, I noticed that the child will be a big brother in another 2 or 3 months…


       As I gathered my things to leave, I noticed that the candy box had been returned. Doug said he'd removed it because he didn't think it wise to give every diner a whole bar. "When you give them a whole candy bar, they think they're entitled to the same thing again, and we just don't have it." We were of one accord. I put many bars in my toy sack and brought them home for next week, but I left five times as much behind. After the night gatekeeper gets through with them, they will all be gone. I don't see that gal anymore, but you might remember a large gatekeeper who was a very good eater and a jolly soul to boot. She works night shift now.
       The mood has shifted in the kitchen. Doug is more serious. The music takes a backseat, and is sometimes not CW. Fans which obliterate all other noises (voices included) are left running unnecessarily. Mr. A is just nuts with snapping orders to one and all, and Crazy's sanity comes and goes like the wind. I never know what I'll find in there of a Sunday mornin'. What'd you find?

No comments: