Sunday, November 8, 2015

SNIPS & SNAILS & PUPPYDOG TAILS

       Three little boys have come to the shelter, each with a different family. They are 9 and 7 and twooo cute. The 9-year-old is celebrating his birthday today, so when I took the toys into the dining room and sought him out first, he got the green and purple dragon that he wanted, even though I had planned crayons and a notebook for him. When their eyes pop out, I'm a goner.
       The 7-year-old got the notebook and crayons. I didn't see any big thrill on his face, but I did tell him to make me a picture that I could put on the wall next week.
       Little Mister Twooo Cute got a dump truck that makes crackle noises. He's not talking, but rumor has it that he's a truck man.
       Oh, I have missed the children!
       So about the rest of the place. Doug opened the back door for me, Crazy snapped at me for not saying hello fast enough, and eventually Mr. A came to the kitchen from the office. Mr. A has a paying position there now! He still works his volunteer hours because he just can't stay away.
       Doug assigned me the soup, and today we had another pot of real stone soup. I started with varied and sundry canned goods, 2 cups of chicken chunks, and curly noodles. There were refried beans to give it body, and many cans of spaghetti sauce for the base. They ate it; no one complained; some folks asked for more. On the side we had pre-fab chicken salad, canned fruit salad and crackers. Nothing new under the sun.
       Miss Lillian still works a couple of days a week. The big scuttlebutt is that Mr. Huggy is back! He was said to have married and moved out of state. Now he's back, after facing some abuse charges, and he's living at the shelter! He's still "volunteering" and wearing a badge, and without doubt groping women when possible. He was duly "AT CHURCH" today, so I was spared the sight of him!
       Doug was away for 6 weeks, partly in hospital, and much of which I was away too, so we felt like we hadn't missed much with one another. I very much enjoyed my vacation! My friends Across the Pond are well, and I had opportunity to partake of wild boar! I brought home the recipe too! Now, if someone will donate such a beast to the shelter, I believe I can prepare it.
       In the meantime, I need more toys! BOY toys! Change is fun.

P.S. I was not prepared for a third child, as he'd only come in late last night; but my daughter drove into town and brought a toy for him. That gift was for me—as is she.

No comments: