Sunday, November 16, 2014

MISSED BY A MILE

       Doug says we have 26 pre-release and 5 new ones expected tomorrow! For today, that meant a very large pot of soup to go with the fruit and chicken salad. I raided the mystery box and accepted everything it offered other than evaporated milk, sauerkraut, and chili peppers. I found some fresh potatoes and celery in the big fridge, and Doug and BOB brought me many cans of vegetables from the front pantry. We had a huge pot of soup.
       Thirty minutes out from the first group, I went to the cooler for the chicken salad. We didn't have any. I offered to make boiled eggs or cheese toast, but Doug wouldn't hear of those. He caved in and deep fried the chicken patties he was saving for another meal.
       We were ready. It took all three of us to put lunch together, mostly because Doug spent the morning with his dinner prep, but in spite of flies in the ointment, lunch came together. The large group of pre-release and the certain hoard of homeless forced in from freezing temperatures would have a hearty lunch. I often wish I could invite others to our lunches, as I cruise through town on my way to the shelter. They're plying the streets with their backpacks and layers of clothing, but they've no place to go.


       However… in spite of the cold and our extensive preparations, few came to lunch… there was about a half gallon of soup left over. Still, those who ate it enjoyed it, and we served many second helpings. Doug said we could freeze it, but the freezer is full of Thanksgiving foods.
       Our Sweet One has been out sick for many days, and isn't expected back for another two weeks at least. Miss Lillian has been around… I didn't get any scoop on that. Of course, we can always count on BOB, and a woman I didn't recognize has worked every day this week in Sweet One's stead. I got the feeling she is or was a pre-release. She made sack lunches and PBJs. They're expecting 45 volunteers for Thanksgiving. Doug says he doesn't know where he'll put them all! I suggested that anything that needed scrubbing would be good use for extra hands—there's never enough time or manpower to wipe down all the surfaces to perfection.
       The little ones were at lunch, and I gave them toys and gum. They surely are good about saying "Thank you!" even when their mom is on the other side of the room. I'm coming to believe they'll be with us quite a while longer…
       Stay warm.
       

No comments: