Sunday, August 17, 2014

NEW MOON FIRE CEREMONY (A Native American Ritual)

      Doug was in his place this morning. He and my favorite gatekeeper were in the kitchen, and Doug was running a bunch of hams through the slicer that Dean pronounced "broken" last week. Not broken. Dean even said that Doug had never used it and wouldn't know how to fix it… yada yada yada… but none of that was true. Last week was just sour.
      THIS week was sweet! Doug began by ragging on me, "Miss Joy, I'm not helping you one bit. You're on your own; I have these hams to slice."
       Some of that was true, but it was nothing like last week. Doug had chicken salad in the fridge and plenty of fruit cocktail. The only thing I needed to invent was a third dish. Pickin's were slim. I decided on a huge pot of curly egg noodles and set one on to boil with a large chunk of butter in it. I put a lid on the pot to encourage boiling. Then I began to forage for the herbs. I wanted parsley and basil.
       Doug told me that we were going to have a fire drill, so again it was nice to be prepared for that. Then that little wispy blonde who's working off service hours came to make the PBJ sacks—poor little airhead. So there we were, all of us well occupied. The hams were sliced and Doug was putting out drinks and tidying the dining room. I still had my head in the spice cabinet, searching for the basil when Doug shouted, "Miss Joy! FIRE!"
       You know, those huge pots of buttery water will boil over if you put a lid on them… and the buttery water will cause the gas stove's flame to rise quite high. It was as high as a small bonfire.
       Doug turned off the burner and the flames subsided, but by then the fire alarm was blaring. We weren't sure if my fire had set off the alarm or if Gatekeeper had set it off, as it was time for that. Sadly, it was my fire. Happily, Gatekeeper had already alerted the fire department to ignore our alarm—or was that almost tragic?
       Airhead hadn't experienced one of our drills, so she got her purse and stood on the back porch. All I got was my sunglasses. Then we told Airhead to follow us across the street. Slowly, so slowly, the pre-release and resident homeless men emerged from the downstairs, and after quite a long while, a few women and children appeared in the parking lot out front. The groups didn't amount to much, and I'm betting a lot of folks just didn't come out. They are a motley crew—some in flannel pajama bottoms, one combing her hair, some rubbing their eyes from being awakened at 11:00. And I searched especially for Bad-Ass-Tats. I never saw him in the group on the sidewalk.
       When it was over, everyone returned to the shelter, and at 11:30 we began serving the pre-release. Bad-Ass was one of the first, and today he thinks he's hotter 'n a firecracker. He was flirty and talkative and had nothing bad to say about the food. Then I saw our other "Indian" come in, and I watched—oh, so intensely. The other fellow is much younger than Bad-Ass and a whole lot better looking. They greeted each other with laughter and some body nudges, like bumping shoulders. I was mesmerized. Then Bad-Ass began bragging (not to me, but to anyone and everyone) that he was the "Big Chief" and the other one was the "Little Chief." Their age difference alone verified that stance, no power play intended.
       I couldn't wait to get Doug alone and ask him about the Indian relationship. "Oh!" he said, "They're best friends!" Now isn't that just precious?
       Very late, a mother with two little ones, a boy and girl about 4 and 5, came to lunch. The chicken salad was all gone, but I fixed them up with BBQ sandwiches, pasta and fruit. Everyone got little candies today because the goodie bins are full again! And the little ones got a stuffed toy and bubbles and gum. They were so thrilled. The 4-year-old boy took the gum (not yet knowing that bubbles were in the offing) and said, "Thank you!" That was a first. I've had a very few children say thank you, but this child couldn't get it out fast enough or sincerely enough. Four years old. I told him Doug could refill the bubbles when they run out, but I surely hope they don't run out on a Miss Lillian day…
       I just love it when I can smile all the way home.

No comments: