Sunday, March 16, 2014

是什么呢?

       Today was different in so many ways. Doug had plans with his family during the morning and lunch hours, so BOB and I were in charge. BOB sliced three large hams and had those baking when I arrived. He had sweet potatoes in the oven when I left. Doug was due in time to finish out the dinner hour, and I was delighted that we could afford him a few special hours with his family. There were numerous phone calls for Doug while I was there. BOB was quick to teach me how to say, "He's having problems with his truck, but he'll be here soon."
       As planned last week, I made the soup from the cans that I hauled around in my car all week. Thankfully, there were more usable canned goods in the mystery box, and I was able to make a very full pot of soup. It's raining today, and it's a cold rain, so we figured the crowd would need that much soup (they did). Doug had ordered a good supply of chicken salad for us, and mixed fruit.
       We had 17 pre-release, and about 25 homeless, but only one person questioned the food—a homeless Oriental man who speaks nearly no English. I tried very hard to understand his question, as he pointed to the chicken salad (or was it the soup?), and I asked kindly that he repeat it. Then I asked if he spoke French (any port in a storm). No. Finally, he gave up and thanked me for trying (not his words—I have no idea what his words were).
       It is most uncommon for us to have guests from other countries or of a race other than black or white. Our town is home to thousands of Mexican emigrants, but in my time there they have never taken advantage of the homeless shelter. I see them as a people who are most self-sufficient and tightly knit. Just reporting what I see…
       The tall, dark, handsome Intimidator was at lunch! I thought he had finished his time and moved on, but he hasn't. He has changed his hair-do, and I remarked on it. He's so laid-back anymore, just walking easy, and smiling… and coming to the counter to thank me for the "great lunch." I told him he missed the quiche, but he didn't seem to mind. He seems happy, and that is surely a good thing.
       So BOB and I were checking off the names, as the pre-release came to lunch. When all were seated, I counted 17 heads but only 16 checked-off names. Not knowing those folks as well as Doug does, BOB and I couldn't tell who had not been checked off, so he suggested I ask a fellow who's been there a long while and who is quite personable. I took the check-off list into the dining room and asked the fellow if he could identify the missing name. He said he couldn't. Then a young man came up to me smiling and said, "I didn't give my name! It's Johnson."

       "Thanks!" I said. Then, turning to the crowd, all of whom were listening, I said (completely without thinking), "Never mind. He turned himself in."
       I would have just died of mortification, except that the entire group was smiling from ear to ear, especially the guilty party. Whew.
       The homeless group has a lot of new faces. Oddly, they blend as if one enormous neglected person split into 20 people of both genders and all about the same size. Other than the mothers of some of our children, I saw no familiar faces, and none of the children was at lunch. Gatekeeper confirmed that Angry Mom's kids were with their dad, so I was spared having to report her for leaving them in the room…
       Right on time, the Christians brought their five 50-pound potato sacks of bread. BOB completely ignored their knocking and did nothing to help me greet and thank them, but he did shove several bags that I had deemed unfit into the dumpster. He had no interest in shooting baskets or going out for a long pass. I like BOB, but he's awfully serious! Maybe if he had a job, he'd be more upbeat… I know that works for me.

       

No comments: