Sunday, December 1, 2013

ONLY 24 DAYS 'TIL CHRISTMAS!


      This was supposed to be a day that I missed at the shelter because I had surgery on Tuesday. When I came home from the hospital on Wednesday, I was told to take it easy, and I did that for as long as I could stand it! Doug knew I was house-bound. Still by 11:00 I had to text him and ask if I could check off the names (least strenuous job in the place). He wrote back, "Please." In fact, he told me later, he was just reaching into his pocket to text me and ask how I was feeling when my text to him rang in. "It's funny," he said, "but I was just about to text you."
       "It's real," I replied. "We do communicate with others even when we aren't aware of it." He agreed. Spooky but true.
       Anyway, I took a precautionary pain pill and arrived in time to welcome our pre-release to lunch. They got soup, tuna salad, crackers, and a cup of strawberries. Our pale whale fellow sat front and center for more than an hour—taste-testing the soup many times and enjoying the repartee. At some point he mentioned being a prisoner and I feigned ignorance and shock. It was hilarious to hear him explain to me that he was indeed a federal prisoner but that I had nothing to fear. Bless his heart. We had ourselves a little laugh, and life went on.
       I had planned to stay only half an hour, but by the time I had finished actually putting together the plates for our homeless group and parceling out snacks for the afternoon, it was after 1 o'clock. The longer I stayed, the stronger I felt. Giving is surely better than receiving and FAR better than watching TV!
       My boy wasn't there, but the other two were. They were bouncing off the walls with energy, doing push-ups on the serving bar, and banging on the piano—Lord 'a mercy!
       The church folks brought the customary bread donations, and two enormous cookies from that haul fell into my carry-home bag…
       The "overflow" that was a focal point last week turned out to be a non-event as far as Doug could ascertain. He fed that 5-gallon pot of soup to the shelter folks and was told to not plan to feed overflow in future. I'm confused. Doug's confused. Even Joey sometimes had a pot for overflow.
       There is a middle-aged man and woman living at the shelter—just by happenstance, and they are both more than a little quirky. Doug uses the word "crazy." I noticed with amusement that they've "found" each other. Our porkless fellow was again unhappy to find a bit of bacon in his soup. I told him, "Well you wouldn't have died if you'd eaten it." He repeated that he doesn't eat pork. I played the halfwit and pretended to not fully comprehend. He responded with the fact that pork would make him "sick" and that he's not eaten any since the 90s. I looked thoughtful, "You're probably allergic to that." The guy drives Doug just nuts with his special needs, and oh! today the mother of the two little boys also announced that she doesn't eat pork. She said she only eats the food there when Miss Lillian is there and when I am there. So I really enjoyed telling her that Lillian was no longer there, and furthermore, Lillian poured lots of bacon grease in all of her dishes. The woman went through several of our offerings before throwing them all out and opting for sack lunches for herself and the boys (each sack contains one ham sandwich and one turkey).
       Miss Lillian is officially retired, and as I guessed, Dean has been invited back to take up the slack in the kitchen. However, to my delight, Doug will stay on the Sunday schedule. That's the plan. He was moaning today about having no one to help him prepare the Christmas feast, though he'll have a dozen people to help serve it. So I told him I'd be there at 8 a.m. on Christmas morning and we'd get 'er done. I can't remember when I've looked so forward to Christmas morning.

No comments: