Sunday, October 27, 2013

SETBACKS

       This is going to be short and disappointing. I've had a minor medical setback, but next week is on the calendar.
       My daughter and her friend worked at the shelter kitchen in my stead today. They came home glowing. Her friend had never had the pleasure of a Sunday morning in a shelter kitchen. "That was fun!" he said.
       They got to meet "my pre-release," and the guys were worried about "Miss Joy." Big Jack made his expected impression on them, so I got to enjoy that vicariously. Of my children, only Boy #2 was there, but I sent their toys, and Doug is guarding one for Boy #1.
       So… "the kids" made PBJs and sack lunches and served a bunch of plates. Doug said the homeless group was the largest he'd ever seen at one meal—nearly 30. I feel like we've done that many before, but I wasn't there to count them or to see how they're doing.
       There was pizza for the pre-release and chicken sandwiches for the homeless residents. My soup was asked for, but we'd gone missing. I hate setbacks.

No comments: