Sunday, May 19, 2013

THEY JUST KEEP COMING


      The incessant rain has let up long enough for folks to get outside, and outside they were this morning. Sadly, no one got up as I struggled with my heavy bags. Prince Charmings don't reside there very often. Lanyard Guy is back at the desk. Good to see him.
       Dean and his bride were hard at the dinner prep—ham, sweet-a-taters, and green beans. Miss Lillian had left the lunch menu written out:

Dean: chicken salad
Miss Joy: pot luck

       I had taken a large bowl of homemade spaghetti sauce with meat, so that made a great starter for the soup. We had fresh potatoes (and new knives!!!). All that bitching I did about knives did nothing. Dean comes along and mentions the need, and whammo—super-fabulous, extra-sharp, assorted knives. He got other stuff too! It's amazing!
       The soup pot got my sauce, a cup of refried beans, 4 huge spuds, frozen peas/carrots/corn, several large cans of chicken, a can of tomato sauce, a pint of green beans, a box of beef broth, 1/2 cup fresh celery, water, a cup of elbow macaroni, rave reviews, and scraped clean.
       One little old fellow with a crutch came to the counter for a third bowl.
       A handsome 50-something guy called me "Babe," and wanted a special soda. When he'd eaten, he complimented lunch and added, "Thanks, Babe." We were not amused.
       Children. Just when you think there's a lull, there isn't. Our regular little girl was there with her gargantuan parents. She was smiling today! And our two babies are gone, but we have a new baby and its big sister who is about 11. That child has "eye-roll attitude" all over her face! I feel so sorry for her! It's not enough that she's been reduced to living in a shelter, but her mother embarrasses her SO! No, her mother is not abnormal in any way that I can see… it's just this child's time of life. She refused to take any of the food, and stood her ground, calling her mother down for not answering my "room number?" question fast enough. So I stepped to the pantry and fetched a bright blue Beanie bird and a little bag of candies & gum. I held them out to the child, and she just stared at me. Then she looked at her mother. What to do?
       "Happy Sunday!" I said. And her mom said something cheerful and approving, so the child took the gifts and appropriately lit up with delight. Just made my day.
       Every time Dean's wife and I would try to put away the leftovers, another person would straggle in, rubbing the sleep from their eyes. And the extra-large fellow visited the counter several times. I did not want to give him the very last bowl of soup (and sure enough, we needed it for someone who'd had no lunch), so I offered him a ham sandwich, which pleased him.
       Still, stragglers came in, and in the end, we made several plates with just chicken salad, fruit and crackers. That soup was GONE!
       A dear man came to the counter on his way out and asked if I had made the soup, saying he liked it so much, and I hear stories about requests for "the soup" when I'm not there. It's a shame the residents are not given that kind of nutrition every day. The chicken salad had 35 mg of cholesterol per serving—prefab death in a plastic tub!
       To my disappointment, our transgender helper couldn't be with us today, but she's supposed to be there next week.
       Speaking of "not there," we never see Mr. Huggy anymore. Word has it that Miss Lillian gave him the BOOT about being in her kitchen! Works for me.
       Another day, another 50¢.

No comments: