Sunday, May 5, 2013

IT'S THE LORD…


      Can you believe it? Another drenching rain, bitter cold wind, streets filled with debris, and too many bags to carry in under an umbrella. One of the street dwellers was staying dry in the foyer and greeted me with, "There's a pretty lady!"
       "A wet lady," I corrected him. Cutie Gatekeeper let me in, and I found Dean and his wife abuzz in the kitchen. Before I could begin, Dean had to show me his complete dinner preparation (as always), and explain that lunch would be my soup, chicken salad, crackers, and fresh pineapple slices. He also shared the details of a meal he served yesterday and how well it was received. I cannot impress on you enough how much this man loves taking care of the people in the shelter. In fact, his ministrations are being returned; when he left the kitchen to catch up on his custodial duties, some of the residents were already cleaning for him.
       We were expecting 60 guests, so the soup pot was filled high. Topping our fresh pineapple slices were little cubes of flan that my friend kindly sent along today. A few folks wanted to know what flan is; one pre-release teased me repeatedly and finally said, "It's custard, right?" And two young women wanted extras—which they got. In fact, one of them took one look at it and said, "Is that flan?" She was so excited. Most of the others were clueless, and I do love introducing new foods to them.
       Our 9-year-old and her parents are still there. Because the other two girls have left, I am free to give this child extra goodies, so today I went to her table and gave her a large coloring chart (with stickers and colored pencils), a whole box of crayons, a little bag of candy and gum, and a gorgeous Beanie bear in one of those pinkish-purple colors that little girls love. She never opened her mouth. She did not smile. She just looked at me while her father urged her to say "thank you."
       I don't need a child to thank me. I want to see her happy, and the fact that her troubles are so large as to deny her from having happy disturbs me awfully. Also, her parents (according to Dean's best guess) weigh a collective 800 pounds and often use the child as an excuse to ask for more food or something special. They will even send her to the counter to ask. She's a beautiful child; to look at her you'd never know what her roots look like.
       Most of you will remember a toddler we had last year who never smiled. You may recall my report that the child's mother would put her in the crib, lock her in their room, and go to a meal by herself. Maybe you remember the one or two little smiles I eventually coaxed out of the child. She's a "big girl" now—about 3—but not much has changed, and as you've guessed, she's back.
       Our other two children are infants, one on formula and the other about 1 year. I am no longer pressed to find babies something to eat, and I haven't time anyway.
       Dean's wife and I were looking out the kitchen window at the gray skies and blowing rain. "What's with this weather?" I whined.
       "It's the Lord," she said, "and He was right upset this morning when our lights went out at 5 o'clock!"
       I was up at 5 o'clock too, but only to slug down some sinus headache meds, and I didn't crawl back out until after 9… so I wonder where this couple finds the strength to do all that they do.
       As I passed back through the lobby, the same man who'd greeted me earlier nodded toward the 9-year-old who was walking ahead of me, "That's yo sista, ain't it?"
       "Yes," I said, "Yes, she is."

No comments: