Sunday, October 14, 2012

LOAVES, FISHES & FAREWELL

       The new gatekeeper has come to know me, and I him. He smiled endearingly when he let me in, and I noticed that he has my son's coloring. "Joey's not here yet—just gone missing," he said, but the kitchen was unlocked and I assured him I had come to a cold kitchen before.
       I still don't know how to turn on all the lights, but today I managed to find a couple. Checking the walk-in fridge, there was nothing that was obviously intended for lunch. So I attacked the mystery box and some shelves to find the makings for you-know-what. There was more than enough, and within about 20 minutes, I had a big pot on to simmer.
       Then I got a 5-pound sack of flour and began making biscuits. Today, I took cookie cutters to make duckies, hands, feet, moons and stars. Joey came in as I was mixing the first batch of dough. He'd overslept and missed his ride—and it's a 3-mile hike from his house. I don't envy the child. At first, I thought perhaps he was still hanging out with those bad influences from last week, but he assured me that that was over. Then he proudly informed me that he'd read a book! And he told me all about it! He said there was a quiz and he knew the answers, like "what a surprise!"
       Shortly before the pre-release were to come in, I asked Joey what could we serve "on the side." It seemed like soup and biscuits needed a side—especially fruit. There was no fruit. However, I found a small can of applesauce, a small can of pineapple slices, and 8 single-serving fruit cups (with sprinkle-on granola & cinnamon). I mixed all of those things in a big bowl and dished up a single spoonful on every other plate. We had some packages of yogurt-covered cherries for the odd plates. No one complained.
       Two of Joey's neighborhood pals dropped in at the back door (separate visits) and distracted him long enough to annoy me.
       I got the skinny on a number of our residents, and you won't like it, but this is the state of affairs in homeless care: The lady with four boys is pregnant, and the young, schizophrenic pregnant woman has five children who live with various relatives.
       Our family with the newborn and 5-year-old were at lunch. MOM was holding the baby today, and she looks so pretty! I told her, "You look the best I've ever seen you! You look rested, and happy; besides, you're just so pretty!" Her husband beamed.
       I made my way through the dining room, handing out Beanie toys, bubbles, gum and crayons.
       As the homeless finished their meals and I began to clean up, I noticed that we had a small bowlful of fruit left over. I still can't understand how so little went so far.
       Before I left, Mr. Huggy came in and gave me a large hug, causing my cell phone to pinch my boob… but of course, he didn't know I had my phone there. He took a bowl of soup and a plate of biscuits home with him. He says he's still feeling weak… and I wonder if he'll ever feel strong again.
       As I was leaving, the 5-year-old asked me, "Where are you going?" I told him I was going home, that my shift was over, and that I really, really wanted to sit down! But it was so nice that he cared. Two of the other little ones yelled extra thank-yous in chorus as I opened the door to leave, and in the parking lot a young woman shouted, "Bye!"
       Farewell… You might notice that "A Vent of My Own" no longer comments here. He was my biggest fan, a brilliant man, and a steady voice in the wilderness of life. He went home on October 4th. I miss him.

     

No comments: