Sunday, February 5, 2012

BRUNCH

       Joey and I had planned a brunch for last week, and I was surprised that he didn't cook it while I was away, but today it became clear that brunch takes two people working really hard, and it's served 5 minutes late but piping hot.
       Joey put two huge cookie sheets of biscuits in the oven and about 5 dozen eggs on the work table. I opened two half-gallons of canned spinach and put it on to simmer with a chunk of margarine. Joey mopped the dining room while I made up 10 sack lunches to top off the stash in the fridge. Then I chopped an onion and chipped up some cheese for an enormous pan of omelet. There was even fresh sour cream for it. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of oregano. Eggs! Lots of eggs!
       A large pot of sausage gravy was already simmering when I got there, so we just kept an eye on it. By the time we unlocked the doors, there were some hungry people to serve, and they were curious... "What is it?" they asked. We had some newly donated plastic dinner plates with clear plastic covers… so the food wasn't as visible as usual. And they didn't seem as excited about their "brunch" until I told them I had personally made omelet with onions and cheese.
       Eternally Hostile Pre-release Woman was even of good humor. She turned up her nose at everything on the serving counter, while Joey tried to placate her. "Just tell me what you'd like," I said, "and I'll fix it for you."
       Maybe her stars are aligned today. For whatever reason, she decided that we had several things she'd like, and I prepared her plate with those. She was happy… and when I left to go home, she spoke to me…
       Gatekeeper is well. He stayed on his end of the building except for one brief foray to the kitchen. Mr. Huggy is still invisible (when I am there). Joey says he's there, and his girl friend is still with him, but Hugs doesn't come around before I leave anymore. I'm thinking his reasoning ("It's just the Devil. God can fix all things. She'll make it.") has no doubt morphed a bit. He'd have some 'splaining to do if he came around me.
       I didn't see our Angel, but to be honest, I was working hard to keep pans of fresh omelet full and serve up plates. I swear if I don't remember to take my own knives next time, I need a sound thrashing. The nice paring knives I bought for that kitchen a few months ago have long since "disappeared." How do some people do their job without a sharp knife… or use of the working can opener…
       There are no children at the shelter now. Hurray!
       I brought home a fat, split-open biscuit slathered with sausage gravy… had to eat half of it while my Healthy Choice meal was nuking. One of our homeless took a leftover meal instead of the brunch because he's worried about his health. I'd worry about his health too, but there is little I can do about his meals. It's common to see leftover plates with fat sausages, corn on the cob and mashed potatoes. THAT is probably why there is little need for a sharp knife in that kitchen. The nutrition is there, but bacon grease flows freely. Well… maybe olive oil in their next lives.

1 comment:

A Vent of My Own said...

An omelet sounds good to me right now.