Sunday, January 15, 2012

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE HUNGRY


       Have I mentioned how no two Sundays are even remotely alike? When I entered the main lobby this morning, a young couple was standing there looking anxious. "M'am, could we borrow your phone? We got stuck here, and we're from Washington."
       I wasn't about to hand my phone to a total stranger, so I told him I'd need to ask the gate keeper. "Oh, she works here," I heard the young man tell his companion. Apparently working there gave me a certain amount of power. Works for me.
       Once the gate keeper let me in, I mentioned the young couple and the phone. "I don't know what they're up to," he said, "and I'm not letting them in." So I headed on back to the kitchen where Joey was waiting.
       "Miss Joy," he announced, "This is Molly! She's going to be helping us for a while."
       There stood the cutest little college kid you ever saw—not shy, been working there 4 days already,  just loving the place.
       "Are you working off a boo-boo?" I asked her. She is. I didn't ask for details, but she said she has assured her father that it was her very last boo-boo. She even talked about coming back to volunteer there after she finishes her community service hours—because she likes it so much. I told her she'd be the first to come back, but we'd love to have her.
       Not surprisingly, she comes from an educated, professional family. I told her she was in good company on that issue.
       Anyway, the sack lunches were already made! All I had to do was open two huge cans of pork 'n beans, and cut up 71 hot dogs. Go in your kitchen, get out your butter knife and slice 71 hot dogs. Then you'll know what I was up against. I meant to take my own knife today, but I forgot. 
       Joey didn't get to order the fresh fruit we were going to have for fruit salad BECAUSE Miss Lillian wouldn't let him. SHE said "the people were just eating it up," so she didn't see any sense in getting more for them… Some days, it's hard to remember the simple good manners I was taught as a child.
       But Joey did have the coleslaw, and I doctored it with dressing and celery seeds. We heated some yeast rolls and called it lunch. Nobody complained. Wouldn't have done them any good.
       There was a pall over the pre-release group. Joey said they were mad about the new rule: "If you don't eat beef, chicken, or pork, you'll need a note from your doctor to get a special plate."
      I really respect the new rule. It had come to the point that too many folks were sashaying up to the counter and turning up their noses at the food. That is not the place for such behaviors. In time, surely, the rule will become accepted and life will go on—perhaps with a smile or two.
       So… I haven't seen Mr. Huggy in weeks. And Joey wanted to get into his office today for some supplies, but the Hugs wasn't there! And he's the one who usually ferries folks to church and back. I allowed as how I thought Huggy was probably embarrassed after having Pretty Woman strip him of hundreds of dollars, but Joey said, "NO! She's staying with him!"
       That was the big shocker of the day. Beyond that, any news I might have brought home is paltry.
       No children at lunch again today. Good for them!
       I didn't eat the grease-dogs and beans; Map is on a diet, so he didn't eat at the church luncheon. I picked him up at 12:45 and we came home to tuna salad… and maybe a glass of wine.
       If your morning was half as rewarding as mine, we're bookin'.

No comments: