Sunday, November 6, 2011

Extras! Extras!

       Nothing was planned for today's lunch. Joey brought a dozen leftover plates from the cooler and several containers of food from previous meals. One of them had a "starter soup" in it, so we added the baked potatoes, peas, carrots, spaghetti, refried beans… it was another winning pot, and I had the pleasure of offering seconds and thirds. The children certainly could have a bag of potato chips. Yes, a bowl of fruit was available for the asking. Boy, do I enjoy passing out the food!
       Angry Child is spending his Sunday elsewhere, as he has for several weeks now, but I left his goodies in the fridge for tonight. The other little boys were there and happy to get their treats.
       Our angel is still there. I told him I was happy to see him. Poor thing; he took the soup, but had to decline the sandwich. He just hasn't enough teeth for that. He isn't wearing white today, but his clothes look freshly pressed.
       I worked hard for 3 hours, but enjoyed every minute. We had great C&W music, lots of friendly interruptions from residents, a fairly quiet pre-release group, and nothing really new.
       Joey and I counted the leftover plates (10), the pizza/corn/fruit plates (10), the soup/sandwich plates (16), and allowed for 10 more made up with barbecue sandwiches and potato salad. Those last plates never got made up, as the first groups of food carried us through the lunch hour. It never fails that if I think we don't have enough, we have too much—and vice versa—so having just the right amount always pleases me.
       Only 12 sack lunches were needed. Joey and I sang along with the music, and we created another of our entertaining infomercials… but wait! Call now… He knows all the jargon and can spit it out rapidly. What a neat kid. Mr. Huggy was busy shuttling folks to church and back, and didn't come to the kitchen before I left.
       Next week, I'm supposed to be traveling, so I won't be posting a kitchen blog. Besides, Joey plans to have next Sunday off, to compensate for an off day he missed this week. Works for ME, but my dear ones will suffer a whole Sunday with "NO EXTRAS! I don't give extras!"
       If they cross your mind, offer up a Sunday prayer for them.

No comments: