Monday, July 25, 2011

THE DAY OFF

       Susan, I apologize. I knew you would come here after work, yet I left you nothing. That was wrong.
       Map and I actually went to church! We went to Forest City, an hour away, to visit the minister who married us at her new place. It was wonderful to see her again!
       The little church is tiny and quaint and very beautiful. To pass the nursery in the hall, you'd never know that babies seldom use it. The congregation is old, and they are bonded to each other and the place.
       When the pastor began the service, she started with, "Can everybody hear me?" And all but one little old lady could. It took 2 or 3 tries before the lady was convinced to move closer and came to sit in front of Map and me. She'd already introduced herself saying, "Oh! I always wished my name were Joy, or one of those pretty names, but I was a twin and nobody had time for pretty names!" No, I don't remember the lady's name.
       Anyway, that woman made it known throughout the service that she had feelings about things. She was hot, she lost her place in the hymnal, she disagreed with something someone said, she wished she hadn't worn that sweater…
       After the service, we gave our sweet pastor a parting hug and headed for the car. We drove out of the parking lot and onto the little street beside the church. There, coming out of the church's other driveway, was that little old lady. So I motioned for her to come on out, ahead of me, but she adamantly refused. I could have sworn her lips said she was waiting for us—and not in the usual sense.
       Many winding blocks later, little old lady still in tow, we were heading down a 6-lane highway. I was sure by that time that we had a passenger in the car behind us… So I took a right at a light and dove into the empty parking lot of an auto-parts store. Yup. She was right there.
       She pulled up beside us and frowned… and mouthed what looked like… "well, I thought I was going to follow you…" as if we'd all had a plan, and then she drove away (looked like in a huff).
       Doesn't matter. We were relieved when she went right and we went left at the next intersection. God only knows where she wound up. —Amen

No comments: