Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHER'S DAY

Got to the shelter before 10 this morning. Joey was already hustling up the beginnings of beef tips, gravy, onion rings, green beans, and a dozen assorted plates of leftovers.

I know my duties now. I started by making 64 turkey, ham and cheese sandwiches and assembling them into 32 sack lunches with drinks, chips, cookies. Those were refrigerated for tomorrow's clients who go out to their jobs. There were 4 dozen peanut-butter & jelly sandwiches already packed by twos. I sacked them with a sugar-free drink and chips. Those are for the homeless who walk the streets--nothing perishable, and little nourishment. Then I made up 10 breakfast sacks (bagels, jelly, cookie, diet drink). Always, we need 10 breakfast sacks. I keep wondering who they're for and when or if the number will change. Never think to ask Joey.

I made up baggies of bagels (knife, jelly, napkin) for the next person who assembles breakfast sacks.

Slick was there again--I'm fairly sure he "lives" there.

Joey had our music playing, and we sang along as opportunity allowed. My son sent a Mother's Day text around 11. His Olive Garden kitchen is having its busiest day of the year.

Our kitchen was relatively quiet today. It was 12:40 when I looked at the clock. I think Joey and I are both tired. Slick was sitting on an outside wall with a few others when I left. "Happy Mother's Day!" he called.

A young woman was throwing bits of bread to the pigeons. I tried not to step on her offerings... guilty of having a car... guilty of being able to drive away... lugging an enormous load of thankful.

1 comment:

A Vent of My Own said...

A rewarding Mothers' Day!
Certainly does more than the traditional Hallmark ritual.